What is Texas Temporary Alimony?

Information provided by our Houston Alimony Lawyer

Photo of Document SigningIf you are waiting to finalize your divorce, you may be having difficulty making ends meet. You may be unable to work, or you may have been dependent on your spouse for financial support during your marriage. In such instances, Texas law provides for temporary alimony payments while the divorce is pending.

Protecting Spouses During Divorce Proceedings

Temporary alimony, also commonly referred to as alimony pendente lite, is money paid from the higher-income spouse to the spouse with lower income to ensure that both spouses are able to maintain their standard of living during divorce proceedings. Once the divorce is final, temporary alimony payments cease and rehabilitative or permanent alimony arrangements will begin. Texas courts greatly favor rehabilitative maintenance in order for receiving spouses to obtain employment or job training to become self-sufficient and financially independent.

Determining Temporary Alimony

Temporary alimony is determined by the couple’s current standard of living. Courts consider the following when determining the amount of temporary alimony to award:

  • The income of both spouses
  • The needs of the dependent spouse
  • The amount of money necessary for each spouse to continue living as comfortably as they did during the marriage

Using these factors, Texas courts will set an amount of temporary alimony that allows the spouses to live equally during the divorce proceedings.

Representing Spouses During Temporary Alimony Proceedings

If you are currently facing a divorce and require temporary alimony, a Houston spousal support attorney at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C. may be able to help. Our Houston family lawyers are experienced in divorce and spousal support cases, including those where temporary alimony is requested. We understand how to get you the amount that you require during your divorce and we will protect your rights if your former spouse fails to make timely payments. Contact a Houston alimony attorney at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today for an initial consultation.